#84 - Jack Stack BBQ, Kansas City, MO

Kansas City is well known for its steaks and BBQ.  I've had great versions of both over the years there.  A few years ago I made my first trip to Arthur Bryant's.  The food was great, but I seriously thought we might get shot in the neighborhood.  The "no guns" sign on the door kinda made me feel better, until we saw the security guard...about 75 years old.  He didn't have a gun either.  Not sure who he thought he could tackle if the need arose.

OSU lost on Thursday night in the Big 12 tourney, but Susan, Matt and Lon had already decided they were staying until Saturday since they didn't get to town until Thursday morning.  And since I had nothing to rush back to Stillwater for, I stayed as well.  I was able to get an extra night at the hotel and a free upgrade to boot.

We decided to go to Jack Stack BBQ for lunch.  I had never eaten there before, but had heard great things.  We went to the Freight House location, right by the train tracks near the Sprint Center.  We arrived at prime lunch hour, plus all the Big 12 fans had nothing to do all day since the first game wasn't until 5, so there was about a 25-minute wait.  The restaurant is really cool.  Dark wood floors and tables, but big windows to let in the light.  There's a full bar near the entrance, and all the barstools were full of guests either waiting for a table or eating lunch.  There's also some additional bar area seating where we waited.  There's a great outdoor patio with about 15 tables, but it was a little windy to sit out there. 

We didn't have to wait too long to be seated.  The menu is big, but not overwhelming.  We started with the colossal onion rings.  
Photo courtesy of The Pitch
Love breaded onion rings!  Definitely my favorite.  And these were definitely colossal...super thick, hot, cooked perfectly, and delicious.  Did we really need 9?  Probably not, but we still devoured them. 

Of course, I couldn't decide what to eat.  Everything looked and smelled so good.  I started with the spinach salad with balsamic vinaigrette
Baby spinach, bacon, strawberries, red onion, pecans, cheese
The salad was light and very refreshing.  Lots more bacon than I expected, which was a great surprise.  The vinaigrette was very tasty as well.

For the main course I went with the pork rib lunch with cole slaw and cheesy corn bake.


The ribs were delicious!  Very tender, falling off the bone.  We had extra sauce for dipping and I made full use of it.  They have regular and spicy sauce, so I used a little of both.  The cole slaw was very good.  I don't usually get it because the cream based cole slaws are normally way too heavy.  But this one wasn't at all.  It was very refreshing.  The corn was just okay.  I'm not sure what I was expecting, but that wasn't really it.  I think the cream was too heavy.  Matt and Susan had the beans, and they looked better.  The Texas toast was really good, but it's hard to mess that up. 

Will I go back?  Yes!  The food was really good, and there are lots of other items on the menu that I want to try.