Repeats With a Twist - Cherokee Strip BBQ, Stillwater OK

You don't have to live in Oklahoma very long to know their BBQ is legit. In Stillwater alone there are several really good BBQ restaurants. When I first moved here I ate lunch at home every day. Then after a couple months I started eating out a couple times a week with co-workers. One place that often came up as a lunch option was Cherokee Strip BBQ

The restaurant is just minutes from campus, in a strip mall that also has one of my favorite Chinese restaurants in town. The only down side to eating at a BBQ place is that you smell like it the entire day. But let's be honest. There are worse things to smell like. Brett, the owner said they do tons of catering on gameday during football season, and that's no surprise. When we used to do Recruit Roundup, we used them for cole slaw and baked beans, and were never disappointed.

I still can't believe I haven't done a review on this place. Brett, the owner, gave me grief when I began the blog about not doing a review. But at the time, I was only doing brand new restaurants. And for whatever reason, even after I added repeat restaurants a few months later, I didn't go back. One of the rules of my repeats was that I had to try something different on the menu. But there are a few exceptions, and this is one of them. 

I honestly can't even tell you the last time I ate here. National Burger Day was last month, and I really wanted something other than fast food. That's when Cherokee Strip sprang to mind, and I knew this was the perfect opportunity to go back and do a review.


Cherokee Strip is a local place, really kind of a hole in the wall, with no frills. But that's a big part of the charm. You order and pay at the counter. If you're getting brisket, ribs, sides, etc, you pick it up as you walk through the line. And then they have all the condiments on another table




Whenever we would come to lunch here, I would be the rebel of the group and get a burger. I know that sounds weird to be eating a burger at a BBQ place, but I loved it so I didn't care. The thing is, they cook the burgers to order so my food would always be the last to come out. My friend Chase worked there though, so as soon as he saw me come in the door, he would put on a burger for me, so that cut down significantly on the wait time.

I was by myself this time, and Chase hasn't worked there in a couple of years. But I arrived before the lunch rush, so it was okay. Brett gave me a sample of their burnt ends, their Thursday special



O...M...G. Phenomenal, melt in your mouth.  Such a deep flavor. I know many people don't like the ends because they're burnt. But that's the best part! I devoured them as I waited for my burger.

As I mentioned earlier, they cook burgers to order. I really don't mind the wait, because you know it's going to be screaming hot and fresh, and cooked just the way I want it.



I always get fries with a burger. I mean, that's really the only way to go. And here, they cook them to order as well. Brett didn't hear me say fries, but he threw some in the fryer as soon as he delivered the burger to me.  That's another thing I love about this place. When they cook stuff to order, they bring it out to you. A few minutes later my fries arrived




I almost never get 1/2lb burgers because it's too much food. But I make 2 exceptions: Cherokee Strip, and a place right off campus at U of Maryland that we used to go to occasionally.

This burger is so juicy and flavorful. I don't know this for a fact, but I'm quite sure they use locally raised beef. There's just an instant difference between burgers that come from who knows where and locally raised fare. This one was slightly saltier than I remember, and I'm thinking maybe a little too much seasoning. But I didn't let that stop me. The fries were fantastic as well. Scorching hot, crisp on the outside, fluffy on the inside.  

I need to remember to eat here more often. And now that I've experienced the burnt ends, that will definitely be my twist. 


Shared on