#125 - Bodean Seafood Restaurant, Tulsa OK

I think everyone knows my distrust of seafood in a landlocked state.  And I'm not ashamed or afraid to admit it.  I know there are a few places in OKC and Tulsa that have good seafood, but I'm still extremely picky about it.  My last appointment in Tulsa yesterday was dinner with Vance & Lori, a wonderful couple I've gotten to know through them having club seats.  He always sends me very entertaining responses to the post-game surveys... much needed after a rough game day.  They suggested either McGill's or Bodean Seafood Restaurant.  I hadn't been to either one, but I trust their judgment and we agreed upon Bodean's. 

From what I hear, Bodean's and White River Fish Market are the 2 best seafood places in Tulsa.  Both fly in fresh seafood daily, and both have a market where you can buy fresh fish.  Actually, Bodean's flies theirs in twice daily. 

Bodean's is at 51st and Harvard.  I learned it was a smaller, older place on the other side of the highway.  When they expanded the highway, Bodean's moved to their current location, on the corner of a strip mall.  It's definitely a higher end restaurant, and a great date night place.  And a huge upgrade from their previous location.  There's a beautiful fish tank as soon as you walk in, built into a free-standing wall.  Behind that wall is the bar area.  It's very spacious, with barstools along the bar, several tables, and several half booths.  Vance & Lori said they will sometimes go and just eat in the bar area.  They offer a full menu, and oysters at a great price.  The main dining space is all white tablecloths, dark wood tables and chairs, and beautiful décor.  There are also 2 fireplaces, one at either short end of the dining room.  Our table was right next to one of them, and it was beautiful.  Along either wall are the semi circle tables, and the regular tables are in the middle.  There are also 2 private rooms. 

They brought out warm bread to start.  The bread was really delicious, and had a little salt on the crust.  I'm a huge fan of that.  I tried to be good and keep from devouring it.  We started with 2 dozen oysters.  I didn't eat oysters for a really long time, even in Maryland.  I just always thought they were so slimy and gross.  But then years ago at the Bentley's Bull & Oyster Roast, Ernie and Chappy convinced me to try them.  One taste, and I was sold.  I now love them, but obviously only eat them if they're very fresh.  So of course never in my life did I think I would ever eat any oysters in Oklahoma.    
They have 6 different kinds, and Vance said to just bring the best 2.



One was Cavendish Cup (top picture, very large), and the other was Shigoku (small). These oysters were amazing.  I could have probably eaten all of them by myself.  It was like being back on the east coast.  One of the sauces was vinegar based that I really didn't care for because it was too strong, but the cocktail sauce was delicious.  I made sure not to go overboard with the horseradish.  I forgot to take a picture of the lemon presentation, but it was large wedges of lemon pierced with the seafood forks.  Very cool.    

Bodean's changes their menu daily.  Some things are always on the menu, but I really like that they do that.  You have to be really good at what you do to pull that off.  Sea bass is one of my favorite types of fish, so when I saw that I knew I had to have it.  Walmart used to sell a really good flash frozen sea bass.  Amazing but true.  And I used to buy it all the time.  And then they stopped.  So I haven't had it in quite a while.  So Herb Crusted Pan Seared Chilean Sea Bass it was
Herb Crusted Pan Seared Chilean Sea Bass, rock shrimp “Jambalaya” risotto, crispy pickled okra  
Wow.  This was one of the best dishes I've ever had.  The fish literally melted in my mouth.  I was very pleasantly surprised with how big the serving was, because normally in restaurants you don't get that much.  The risotto was so flavorful.  And it had whole pieces of rock shrimp that were perfectly cooked and tender.  I really enjoyed the pickled okra.  The coating was light and flavorful, and the pickling was not overpowering at all.

Lori got the seared yellowfin tuna
soba noodles, sriracha mayo, soy reduction, wasabi powder, wonton crumble 
I don't normally do tuna like that.  I know supposedly that's the way you're "supposed" to eat it, but I prefer mine more done.  But I went adventurous and tried some.  It was fantastic.  Probably at least partially because it was so fresh.  I had never tried soba noodles before, but those were really good.  Cooked in a soy/ginger reduction and served cold.  Tons of flavor.  The wasabi powder was very interesting.  Never seen anything like it before. 

I didn't get to taste Vance's calamari or clam chowder.  But he ate every single bite, so I'm guessing it was really good.

As if that wasn't enough, Vance and I decided to go for dessert. And got cheesecake

Perfect way to end the meal.  It was absolutely delicious. 

As we were waiting for the bill, these little treats arrived


No chance I was even going to attempt to try and eat any last night.  But I toasted up a little slice this morning.  Heavenly.

Of course I'm going back.  As soon as possible.  Maybe even for just oysters and drinks at the bar, since Vance said you can get them for $1.50 each at the bar.  What a deal.  Oh, and I'll make sure I get there in time to buy fresh seafood from the market to take home.


SHARED ON