#138 - Mellow Mushroom, Flower Mound, TX

Friday evening I wanted to watch some basketball, especially since OU was the lone Big 12 team still in the tournament.  I know most of my OSU friends wouldn't be caught dead cheering for OU in anything, but I just don't have that same level of hate.  Our go-to sports bar, BFD, closed about a year ago.  So we had to come up with another place to go.  And there's limited options of places that are open late in Flower Mound, even on a Friday night.  We agreed on one place, but as we drove Joni wanted to check out Mellow Mushroom

I really liked this place from the moment we walked in.  They have several very distinct seating areas.  There's a couple of small tables outside the front of the restaurant, but nobody was sitting out there, because it was a little chilly, and really dark; no lighting except for candles on the tables.  Inside there's a very large bar area immediately to the right.  We sat there so we could watch TV.  Really there's TV's all throughout the restaurant, but this was a good location for us.  Just beyond the bar is an enclosed patio.  It's part of the building, but what is really cool is they have several large windows that have a heavyweight plastic over them.  The plastic can be removed when the weather is good.  There's a fireplace in the middle of the patio, with a small couch and a couple other chairs.  There's also large garage-type see-through doors that separate the bar from the patio; so in the winter they can completely close off the patio and keep the cold out.  The main dining room is on the other side of the restaurant, and what immediately caught my eye is the box car that has a couple of tables inside


I also love the "chandelier" above the bar

It's hard to tell, but that is a tree, upside down, covered with lights.  Never seen anything like it.

The menu is large, and has a ton of variety.  Pizza is their main thing, but they also do calzones, hoagies and salads.  And you can build your own pizzas and salads.  And they have a lot of vegetarian items on the menu.  Joni and I were joking about the fact that they offer vegan cheese as well as tofu sandwiches.  And they also have tempeh sandwiches.  We asked the server what tempeh was, and she said "if you like the spongy texture of tofu, you'll like it".  Not what I would call a glowing recommendation, but we had a good laugh.  We looked it up... doesn't look pretty or appetizing.  But honestly, I really like that they cater to diverse dietary needs.  More restaurants need to do that.  I've never seen vegan cheese or tempeh on a menu. 

We weren't super hungry, so just got a couple of appetizers.  We started with the wings.  They offer 1/2 portions, but since we were sharing we got a full.  Joni got hot, and I got sweet Thai chili. 

I like that they separated the wings by flavor.  Smart move.  The wings were awesome.  And very large and meaty, which was a very pleasant surprise.  I think the sauce was just the Thai chili sauce you can buy at the store, but it was still really good.  The funny thing is Joni nixed going to Buffalo Wild Wings, saying that it's "gross".  And we ended up with wings anyway.  I like BWW, but we've got that in Stillwater.   

I then decided to try the stuffed Portobello mushroom.  I've never eaten one before, but I buy baby Bella's all the time.  And I like all of the ingredients in the dish.  So I decided to be adventurous and healthy
Portobello mushroom cap stuffed with artichoke hearts, feta cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, 
spinach and mozzarella. Baked and drizzled with a balsamic glaze.
Served on a bed of spring mix tossed with an herb vinaigrette dressing.
This was excellent.  Such a wonderful mix of flavors and textures.  The mushroom is so hearty, I can see what people mean when they say it can replace meat.  Don't get me wrong though... I'm not going to be replacing meat with anything any time soon.  Or ever.  The only down side is they went a little overboard on the dressing on the spring mix.  It didn't need much, since there's balsamic on the mushroom.  Really they could probably just do a little more balsamic and nix the herb vinaigrette altogether.  But I still devoured all of it.

I definitely want to go back.  The pizzas looked and smelled so delicious.  I didn't realize that there are so many locations around the country, but big surprise, not a single one in Oklahoma.  They need to change that.  A place like this would kill in Stillwater.  Or OKC or Edmond.  But I'm being selfish, and want one in Stillwater first.