Repeats with a Twist - Ruby Tuesday, Olathe, KS

About 10 days ago I woke up at 4am, with my stomach feeling super icky.  I wasn't nauseus, but I could tell my intestines weren't really happy with me.  I tried to go work out, hoping it would help...poor decision, because I was back home on the couch about 30 minutes later.  Long story short, I felt icky all weekend and didn't eat anything at all Friday or Saturday.  Sunday I ate a little pasta around lunchtime, but really that didn't help or hurt.  Finally on Monday I forced myself to eat some crackers, because the next day I was leaving for the Big 12 tournament, which would mean lots of good food and beverages.  Plus I just needed to eat!  I'm sure my body was hating me for not having any nutrients whatsoever for 3 days. 

Tuesday morning I left home bright and early and headed to Kansas City for the tournament.  I still wasn't hungry, but again knew I needed to get back on the food track.  I finally was a little hungry by the time I hit Olathe, which is about 15 minutes from KC.  I wanted something pretty light, because we were going out for a big steak dinner later.  As I was checking the GPS for options, I came across Ruby Tuesday.  I love the salad bar there. It's got lots of options, it's always fresh, and it's not expensive.  Sold.

I don't often brag on waiters, but Dave was really good!  He definitely knew his stuff.  I asked a couple of questions and he knew the answers instantly.  He checked on me periodically but didn't hover and didn't try to push any items on me.  I really wanted to try the shrimp fondue appetizer that he offered at the start, but decided that probably wouldn't be the best decision as my first full meal.

My original plan was to just get the salad bar and be happy with that.  However, for just $1 more I could do a Fresh Combination, and that included the salad bar.  So I started with the salad:

As you can see I piled my plate as high as I could without items falling off the side...mixed greens, broccoli, mushrooms, red onion, carrots, edamame, egg, and their famous croutons (made from dark rye bread).  I used their balsamic vinaigrette dressing, which is really delicious.  The croutons were really good...crisp on the outside and still soft on the inside.  I usually like them crunchy all around, but the flavor was excellent. 

As I enjoyed my salad, Dave appeared with these little bites of deliciousness.  They were really good, and small, and flavored really nicely with herbs, so it wasn't like it was going to wreck your meal.  They had some fancy name but I can't rememeber what it was. 

And then came the spicy fish tacos, without the cheese or sour cream.
Grilled fresh and filled with lettuce, cheddar cheese, pico de gallo, sour cream, and cilantro.
Finished with a drizzle of spicy ranch for a kick to your taste buds
These were so good!!  The spicy ranch definitely had a major kick, as did the fish.  The main reason I got the tacos is because it was grilled, and it was awesome.  The menu says it's a "drizzle" of the ranch, but whoever made the tacos definitley didn't understand the concept of a drizzle, cause it was way too much.  Next time I would ask for it on the side.  I only ended up eating one of the tortillas.  Partly because I was pretty full from all the food, but also because the ranch was basically soaking through them and it was just easier to eat it with a fork.

Will I go back?  Well, I don't know where there's a Ruby Tuesday in Oklahoma, but if I'm near one when I'm hungry, then yes!  The salad bar alone is worth the trip.