#185 - Boba Fusion Cafe, Stillwater OK

Normally when I go back to Maryland to visit my family, I fly back to Oklahoma alone and then my parents fly out a couple of weeks later.  This year, my dad flew back with me, and my mom was driving out with 2 of her sisters a couple weeks later. I take vacation as close to football season as possible...kind of like a last relaxing hurrah before the chaos begins. So when I get back, I hit the ground running.  It's normal for me to get to work before dawn and stay until dark, and also work all weekend. Since my dad was here by himself, I tried to get back home a little earlier. It worked a few times.  Most of the nights I cooked dinner, but one night I wasn't in the mood, so we headed out for Asian food.

My original plan was Thai Cafe, one of my favorite restaurants in town. My dad had eaten there before and liked it too. We walked in, and it was like an ice box. I really didn't want to spend the whole meal trying to stay warm, so I decided we would eat someplace else. I started looking around, and then remembered about Boba Fusion Cafe. When I first saw it a few years ago, I had no desire to go there, because it looks super shady from the outside. And I didn't know anyone who had ever eaten there. Then I learned my friend Ming was a huge fan. He's Malaysian, so I figure if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me.

The restaurant is in a strip mall on the East side of town. The strip mall is perpendicular to the main road and the restaurant is at the back. So unless you know it's there, or unless you happen to see it going to another store or the Wal Mart next door, you'll completely miss it.

They always say don't judge a book by its cover. So that's what I told my dad as we walked in. The inside isn't fancy by any stretch either, but it's a local place in a college town. It doesn't need to be fancy. The food is what matters.

As you walk in, there's a dessert counter and ordering counter on the left. The kitchen is behind the counter, and then at the back wall is a beverage station where you can get specialty juices and drinks.  You order your food at the counter and they bring the food to you. 

Our cashier was really helpful, making recommendations of their most popular and her favorite dishes. I tried to start with the dumplings (made from scratch daily), but they were already out. And since the restaurant was closing in about 45 minutes they weren't making any more.  Bummer. She said the second most popular appetizer was basil fried veggies. 


I'm not sure what I was expecting it to look like, but it definitely wasn't this. However, it only took one bite and I was completely sold. Mushrooms, pumpkin and broccoli, fried perfectly and served scorching hot from the fryer. I don't even eat pumpkin, but I could have devoured all of it. I scalded my mouth on the mushroom because it's whole and exploded in my mouth. I'm not sure exactly what they coated the veggies in, but it was awesome. The basil added so much flavor.

My dad got the Teppanyaki tofu


I love the presentation on the hot plate. The tofu and chunks of veggies were huge, and it came sizzling to the table. I tried a bite of the tofu, and it was really good. I would say that it was a little greasy though. When he took the leftovers there was quite a bit left. But then again, grease is flavor right?

I went with the 3 cup chicken, one of the most popular dishes on the menu.


Wow, this chicken was amazing. Screaming hot, tons of flavor, quite spicy. The sauce was really delicious. Most restaurants you get so much food you could easily take home half. This was a much more realistic portion. Without the appetizer I could have eaten the whole thing, but I ended up taking a little bit home. 

With every entree you get 2 sides of the day. And it's whatever sides they make. This day it was pickled cauliflower and potato salad. I have to say potato salad is a very unique and interesting side for an Asian restaurant. But the potatoes provided a nice cooling contrast to the spicy chicken. The cauliflower was delicious. I'm really becoming a big fan of pickled veggies.

Will I go back? No question. The food was excellent, and I definitely have to try the homemade dumplings. This place has jumped up into one of my top 5 restaurants in town.