#32 - Anamia's Tex Mex, Flower Mound, TX

Last week I had to go to Dallas for a site visit for the bowl game.  Our meetings were beginning on Thursday afternoon, but I needed to get there earlier to check out a few bars for our "official party headquarters" so I drove down Wednesday evening. I stayed with Joni and Tony in Flower Mound TX, about 30 minutes north of Dallas. I had never been to Flower Mound before, but it's a great city. Lots of shopping, restaurants, and residential areas, without the big-city feel of Dallas.

We went to dinner at Anamia's Tex-Mex, their favorite Mexican restaurant in town. Before moving to Oklahoma I rarely ever ate Mexican food. I'm not sure why not, because there's a lot of authentic Mexican in Maryland, particularly near where my parents live. We went out for Mexican food my first week in town. At first I didn't understand all the hoopla, but we also went to an average chain. As we went to better Mexican places I understood. And now I'm hooked.

There are 4 Anamia's locations in the DFW metro area. The Flower Mound location is in a strip mall, and if you're not paying attention you'll drive right past it. As you enter the restaurant there's a bar area straight ahead, a good-sized outdoor covered patio on the left, and a main dining area to the right. It was pretty crowded when we got there, but there was an open table in the bar area so we grabbed it.  Good thing, because they were showing the OSU basketball game so we got to watch the first half.

I ordered a skinny margarita, made even more appealing when the waiter said it was made with real lime juice, and Tony said I would really like it


Fresh lime juice makes a HUGE difference!  I guess that makes sense, since it does the same thing to food. And these margaritas pack a serious punch. So delicious.

We started with an order of tableside guacamole


Tony ordered it medium heat, and I could feel the kick with the first bite.  But it was absolutely amazing.  I will always pay more for tableside guacamole rather than stuff that's been pre-made and sitting around all day.  Again, there's no comparison.  Besides, it's cool to watch them make it at your table. The chips were also really good and fresh.

Finally it was time to order dinner.  The menu is big, which I don't do well with.  Tony recommended the Tacos a la Mexicana.  Since he hadn't steered me wrong yet, I went with it
Three flour tortillas filled with slow-roasted brisket, sauteed poblano peppers and onions
Served with bean soup and rice
The brisket was amazingly tender. They brought us some sauce to pour over it, and that just added to the flavor. I only ate one of the tortillas. They were really good, but I needed to save space.  The bean soup was awesome.  The rice was good, and I really liked that the salad had big slices of avocado in it.

Will I go back?  No question.  I absolutely understand why this is one of their favorite restaurants, and after one meal it's one of mine as well.