#68A - Sprinkles, Houston, TX

Why is this post 68A?  Well, it's a bakery, not a full restaurant.  I did the same thing on the first day of this blog when we were in Bartlesville for a caravan, so I figure I should continue that tradition.

I had heard lots of things about Sprinkles Cupcakes.  I had even driven by one when we were in Scottsdale for the Fiesta Bowl a couple years ago.  Mary and I had actually seen the Sprinkles on our way to Brio, and Mary insisted that we had to go after lunch.  It's located in Highland Village, only about a mile from the Galleria. 

I would say the biggest down side is the parking.  Maybe there's a garage somewhere that we didn't see, but because it's kind of in a strip mall (a nice one), you have to be very crafty--and not be driving a huge car--to park easily.  But of course I was in the Tahoe.  Luckily I was able to find a space with another space next to it so I could maneuver in.

Man, this place is tiny!  Seriously, you couldn't fit more than 25 people in the place at any one time, and I think that includes the staff.  But I guess that adds to the charm and atmosphere.  We hit it at the right time, because there were only 3 people ahead of us when we got there, which gave me time to make a decision.  And as we were eating, the line was out the door.  As soon as you walk in the door the heavenly smell of baked goods hits you like a rock.  And they've got all of the treats on full display of course. 

Prince George had just been born, so Sprinkles was celebrating and I decided to get into the festive mood as well, and went with a Prince of Cambridge cupcake.  I also got a dark chocolate one...didn't really need it, but the one cupcake would have looked so lonely in the box

I forgot to take a picture of the middle of the Prince of Cambridge cupcake, but thanks to Sprinkles' Facebook page, you can see they were filled with blue icing. 

  
Wow these were so delicious!  Very moist, great flavor, and rich, but not overpowering.  Mary and I decided that the second cupcake would be our treats after the caravan--great call.

I was going to just get a water when I happened to look down under the register and saw that they had Mexican coke!  I thought that was extremely random to have that in a bakery.  But, it is Houston and there's a very large Hispanic population.  Well played, Sprinkles.  Not sure what it is about Mexican coke, but it is so much better than the stuff made in the US.  I rarely drink soda, but when we were in Playa in May I couldn't stop drinking those.   So of course I had to get my fix.

I probably didn't need the additional sugar from the coke, but sometimes sacrifices have to be made.

Will I go back?  No question.  The prices are a little high, but the cupcakes are made fresh daily.  And, the shop started in Beverly Hills, which probably has something to do with the pricing.  But it's definitely worth it as an occasional treat.