#72 - NEO Grill, Houston TX

After the game in Houston, we all went back to the hotel and were ready for a nap.  We also knew we didn't want to fight traffic and crowds to go to dinner, especially with a large group of us. So we agreed on a power nap, and then dinner at NOE Grill, which is in the hotel. 

We waited close to 90 minutes to be seated.  Don't know if they figured since the team had left they didn't need to staff up, but a lot of our fans were staying Saturday night so they still had a lot of people in the hotel.  And NOE was our only option for dinner in the hotel.  We were about to order some appetizers in the bar when our table was finally ready.  We walk in, and there were only about 4 tables even being used.  The rest of the restaurant was empty.  Absolutely ridiculous.  The server tried to be nice and thank us for our patience.  We were all annoyed, but it wasn't his fault they were so underprepared.

Joni ordered a glass of wine.  We realized after the bill was paid that it was $16...for a glass of Kim Crawford sauv Blanc.  Great wine, but certainly not worth that price.  And when I looked at the wine list I figure out how they get you.  They serve a 6-oz "splash" and a 9-oz "glass".  And instead of clarifying when she ordered, the server just brought her the glass.  Who the heck ever orders a "splash" of wine??  When you're ordering wine, you automatically just say a "glass". 

We were all hungry, so just decided to try and make the best of it.  I went with the "chicken fried" gulf oysters and the lobster & mascarpone mac & cheese



While I wish had been more adventurous the day before at breakfast, I wish I hadn't been quite so adventurous with this meal.  The oysters were just okay.  I've had much better.  The corn fritters were pretty good but room temperature.  So that was disappointing.  The sake & chili aioli was really very good, and helped the flavor of the oysters.  The mac and cheese had very good flavor, and I love that it was served in the little pot.  However, the lobster was overcooked and the whole dish had stayed in the oven too long.  Had it been cooked properly, it would have been awesome.

Everyone else said their food was decent, but nothing super exciting.

Will I go back?  Hmmm...I don't know.  I find it impossible to believe that any restaurant could survive with service like that, especially in a huge city like Houston and especially as the main restaurant in a large hotel.  So I want to give them the benefit of the doubt and try it again.  But, with all the restaurants in Houston, the chance of me going back there is pretty slim.  I guess if I'm there for several days and maybe try it at lunch.