#71 - Adair Kitchen, Houston TX

Friday morning in Houston I got up early and went running.  Well my plan was to run, but even at 8am that humidity was absolutely oppressive so it was more of a run/power walk combo.  The area where I went running had some incredibly beautiful and huge houses.  I was kind of hoping to see a rich, single guy to offer me some water, but no such luck.

After the workout it was time for breakfast. We had seen Adair Kitchen in the same strip mall as Ciao Bello, and my friend JJ said she had been there several times and it was good.  So we decided to try it out. 

It's a very bright and open concept restaurant, with high ceilings with exposed beams.  There's a ton of natural light, which I really like.  You order at the counter, take a seat, and then they bring the food to your table.  They have the menu listed on huge chalkboards above the register, but we opted for the paper menus. 

My mom was a little disappointed that there are no free refills on hot tea, and I have to agree with her.  I mean seriously... it's water and tea bags.  Regular coffee is always unlimited, so why not regular hot tea?   

It was mid morning when we arrived, but all of us still wanted breakfast.  The menu has lots of interesting and unique options.  But I wasn't feeling super adventurous so  I went the traditional route:  2 eggs, hash browns, wheat toast and bacon.

I asked for the eggs over easy and they were slightly overdone, which was a little disappointing.  The hash browns were good but creamier than I'm used to.  Almost like they used some mashed potatoes along with the shredded.  But I liked it.  The bacon was crispy and delicious. My meal was good, but in hindsight I probably should have gone with something a little more exciting. 

My parents both got the multigrain pancakes

My mom couldn't finish all of hers.  One bite, and I happily obliged helping her out.  The pancakes were light, fluffy and super yummy.  And the syrup was hot, which was fantastic.  I used some of it to dip my bacon in.  I mean, I didn't want it to go to waste.   The only negative with the syrup is that the container was scorching hot, and I'm guessing they microwaves it before bringing it to the table.  Our server warned us it was hot, but even after a few minutes I still had to use a napkin to pick it up. 

Will I go back?  Yes!  And next time I'll definitely be more adventurous with my choices.