#113 AND Repeat with a Twist - Mexicali Border Cafe, Tulsa OK

I was out delivering football suite tickets in Tulsa, and arranged to meet one of the suite administrators for lunch.  She had been the suite administrator years ago, before I even started; then moved to another department; and was back on the suite side this year. She suggested Mexicali Border Cafe.  Since I'm not very familiar with Tulsa, and am always up for Mexican food, I was sold. 

It's located in downtown Tulsa, so for lunch it's very much dominated by the business crowd.  But thankfully it wasn't too busy when we arrived. They've got a good sized patio out front, and then the main restaurant is basically split in half between the bar area and "regular" seating.  I think I might have eaten here once maybe the first year that I lived here. But since I can't really remember, it counts as a new restaurant.  


Of course we started with chips & salsa.  The chips were thicker cut, and also served warm. The salsa was good, but I feel like it lacks a little something in the flavor.  Not sure what that is though.  


Some of the salads looked really good and I briefly thought about getting one.  But then I remembered I was going to give blood that weekend and needed to get my iron up.  So red meat it became. 


I finally decided on the fajita chimichanga with white queso. 


I hadn't had a chimichanga in ages.  It was delicious.  It had just the right amount of queso on top, it wasn't nearly as big as I expected, and the meat had a ton of flavor. The borracho beans were also really good.  

Amy got the casserole

I completely forgot to take a picture when it first came to the table.  The casserole was in a baking dish, and the tortillas are on the side.  The server then puts it together into 3 rolls.  I really like the tableside service.  She said it was delicious.

As we were eating, we discussed how much better it would be if we were enjoying margaritas at the same time.  I normally don't deliver winter sport tickets for the suiteholders.  Partially because there's only 13 suites, and mainly because delivery would fall during the heart of football season.  But the way the home game schedule worked out this year, I would have plenty of time.


So that's where "with a twist" came from.  Last week we had a bye week, so after a full day of lunch at my favorite dive sushi restaurant in Tulsa, visiting a former suiteholder at the best retirement community I've ever been to, and delivering suite tickets to another office, it was Mexicali time.  I couldn't decide which margarita to get, but our server immediately suggested the Horny. Sounds a little risque, but it's called that because they use Hornitos tequila.  And it's excellent.  And strong.  And comes in a big glass.


My original plan the first time I ate here was to get the casserole the second time.  But after 2 1/2 margaritas, I needed something with a little more substance.  So it was back to the chimichanga.  And once again, it didn't disappoint.  Oh and the salsa was better this time. So maybe it was just an under-seasoned batch we got last time.  So really, the main twist was the cocktails.  On my next "twist" visit I'm determined to get the casserole, maybe an appetizer, and possibly a different margarita.  


One of the things that stuck out to me both times was the locations...one in downtown Tulsa, and 2 in Florida.  I thought that was really random, until we met the owner and learned that he's from Florida.  Which now makes perfect sense.


Yes, I'm definitely going back again.  I don't get to downtown Tulsa very often, but it is certainly on the list when I do.