Repeats with a Twist - Sushi House, Stillwater OK

A couple weeks ago my friend Bob was in town. We've become really great friends over the past couple of years. As a matter of fact, some people have asked if he's my boyfriend/husband. Nope, none of that. Just fantastic friends. 

Bob was craving sushi, and of course I'm always up for sushi. One of our favorite places in town is Sushi House, which is only a few miles from my house. Once again, no clue how I still haven't done a post. I've lost count of the number of times I've eaten there over the past 5 years.

It's located in a strip mall that's kind of off the beaten path. Since Gatsby's wine bar opened next door, we do spend more time over in that area. Before becoming Sushi House, the space was a liquor store we used for suite stocking. I was really bummed when the store closed down, but Sushi House is an outstanding replacement.

I've tried all kinds of sushi there. Joni doesn't eat sushi, and neither do my parents, but they have non-sushi items as well so we can still go there. The restaurant itself is a decent size. There's table and booth seating, as well as chairs around the large sushi bar in the middle. There's also seating in the outdoor patio out back, but I've honestly never eaten out there.

Depending on the time and day you go will determine whether or not there's a wait. During the school year, we avoid that place like the plague on weekend nights, especially home football game weekends. But on most weekdays, and definitely in the summer, it's usually not very crowded. This was fortunately the case that Friday night Bob and I went.

When Bob and I do sushi, we like to experiment and try lots of different things. And we have very similar tastes, so it works out well. We decided to start with the lettuce wraps. We always thought they were beef, but it turns out they are chicken

The meat is so tender, and seasoned really well. It’s that seasoning that makes it look like beef, because the color so deep. Beef/chicken, doesn’t matter. Because it’s awesome. And they give you a good amount of lettuce leaves. 

Next was Orange Power roll

Bob and I both don’t do raw, so this one was a little adventurous. But the pieces of raw fish were so small that it was okay. Bob and I both really liked the salmon. Bob wasn’t a huge fan of the tuna, but I liked it. The spring mix was an interesting topping, but kind of boring. I would have been happier with more tuna/salmon, or maybe another type of fish.

We also got the Ferry roll

We’ve both had it before, and it’s one of our favorites. Yes, it’s deep fried. No, that’s not the healthiest option. But it’s so good, and served warm, that we couldn’t help it. The sauce on top is delicious, and adds great flavor.

Next up, we went off the sushi grid with teriyaki chicken. Our server had mentioned that they have a spicy fried rice that’s really delicious, but also said that it’s not available to substitute as a side with the teriyaki chicken. So we just went with the regular

The chicken was fantastic, very tender and moist. The sauce was rich and thick. The only down side to the sauce, as is often the case with teriyaki, is that it was very salty. But the rice did help tone that down. The broccoli was really good, huge pieces that were steamed and still tender-crisp. The fried rice was very good. I wish they would let you swap out a different fried rice, even at an upcharge. 

Next came the scissor roll

I’ve had this one before, but Bob never had. This salmon was seared not raw, and he was a big fan. I really like the crunch on top, as it adds a new texture to the dish. 

As if we hadn’t had enough, we decided to get some ice cream. We figured it would be light and refreshing, and a good way to end the meal. After some back and forth decisions, we went with the green tea ice cream.

The ice cream was very light and really delicious. And, just as we thought, a refreshing way to end the meal. It wasn’t an overpowering flavor at all. In fact, we didn’t taste much green tea at all. I liked that it was topped with a little mint. The whipped cream was okay, but I could have done without it.

Of course I’m going to continue to eat here. The food is always delicious, the service is prompt even when it’s really busy, and every time I try a new roll I’m impressed.