My Chef's Hat - Bacon, Corn & Avocado Salad

Growing up, I never ate avocados. I honestly don't remember my parents ever buying them. And we very rarely ever went to Mexican restaurants. So when I moved to Oklahoma, it was a little bit of culture shock to see avocados absolutely everywhere. I was still really hesitant to try them, until we were at a retreat at Mr. Pickens' ranch, and we had guacamole as part of the appetizers. I had to stop myself from devouring the entire thing. From that day on, I was a fan, but it still took another year or so for me to buy them. Now I buy them all the time, and try to eat 1/4 avocado every day. They do have quite a bit of fat, but it's the good kind. 

When I'm on Pinterest, I look for recipes that use avocado. And when I come across ones like Bacon, Corn & Avocado salad, I am completely sold. Because those are 3 of my favorite ingredients. 

The original recipe comes from the Absolutely Avocados cookbook. I'm tempted to buy it. But I already know what will happen. I'll get it, put it with the other cookbooks, and look at it maybe once or twice. 

Here is the original recipe photo


Here is my version


This dish is fantastic, simple to make, and ready in about 20 minutes. I already knew the flavors would work really well together, and I wasn't disappointed. I added red onion and sauteed it with the corn, to deepen the flavor and add another layer of texture to the salad. I also threw in some scallions since I had them. I didn't even remotely think of looking to see if I could find cojito cheese at the grocery store, so I used the goat cheese I had on hand.

This is definitely going on the dinner rotation. I made it with grilled salmon the first time, and then pork chops the other night. It's such a versatile side that would work well with many different types of protein.


Recipe Posted On Recipe Girl; original recipe courtesy of What's Gaby Cooking



Shared on