Repeats with a Twist - Boba Fusion Cafe, Stillwater OK

When my dad was here in August, I made my first trip to Boba Fusion Cafe. It's on the east side of town in a strip mall next to the older Wal Mart. For a long time I didn't even know it existed because it's towards the back of the strip mall. And then it always looked sketchy from the outside. But then my friend Ming always raved about it, and I knew he would never steer me wrong when it comes to food. So we took a chance, and were super impressed.

Ming and I made plans to go in early September, but I should have known better than to even try to take that long for lunch right at the start of the season. Most days it was all I could do to run out and grab a quick to-go meal somewhere. Two weeks ago we finally made a date to meet for lunch.

As I said earlier, it looks pretty sketchy from the outside. For a long time I honestly thought it wasn't a space that wasn't even open. It's actually a pretty big restaurant, seating maybe 75. The owners and staff are very friendly, and last time the cashier was really accommodating, helping us decide what to order. You order at the counter, and then they bring the food to  you. They do daily specials, but when they run out, they run out. This is the first place I've been to like that, but I like it. 

They make their most of their food from scratch, including the dumplings. Last time they were already out by the time my dad and I got there, so I was on a mission to get some this time. They do both pork and veggie, and we went with the pork


These were fantastic. lightly fried, full of flavor, and scorching hot. The sauce was delicious as well.

Ming said he always gets the fried noodle roll. I had never heard of it, but who am I to question something fried?!


Phenomenal. Freshly fried, huge puffs of noodles. I seriously could have eaten all of them myself. They come with condensed milk, which I had never seen as a condiment before. When I was a kid and my mom baked a lot, she would always let me eat what was left in the can of condensed milk when she was done. It's so sweet and rich and yummy. It was super tempting to eat all of this one with a spoon, but I held back.

Each entree is served with 2 sides of the day. You don't get to choose, you just get what they're serving. One of the sides was a mix of sauteed bok choy and carrots. We really weren't sure what the other side was. We went back and forth trying to decide if it was zucchini or cucumber. But either way, both were very good.

Ming got the sesame chicken


Sesame chicken is almost always fried, so I really like that this one wasn't. I tasted a piece, and it was excellent.  A little spice heat, but not overpowering.

I went with the spicy chicken


Again, not fried. And again, awesome. Ming said that many of their main dishes aren't fried, which I like. The sauce was very spicy, but had a great flavor as well, and the rice helped tone it down. I loved the big chunks of peppers and onions. The chicken was extremely tender, so I think they used thighs instead of breast. 

Ming asked for a large side of rice. I didn't think about it until after the fact, but I should have done that too so I would have more to take home to make fried rice. We had enough to eat that I was able to save most of the rice though. But next time I know: get the bigger bowl.

Ming is friends with the owners. Let's be honest...Ming is friends with everyone, and he eats here pretty much weekly. One of the staff was giving him grief for not ordering the special. But his normal time to show up is about 2pm, and by then the special is gone. I don't know how he does that, because if I'm not eating by 12:30 I'm about to gnaw my arm off. 

So our next visit will be during regular lunch hours. And I'm getting the special. And of course the fried noodle rolls.