My Chef's Hat - Orange Chicken Vegetable Stir Fry

When I got home from Wisconsin-palooza, a 4-day cheese and beer binge, it was high time to eat something healthy. I was kind of afraid that my body would go into shock at the first bite of vegetable, but it was a risk I had to take. 

Of course, Pinterest to the rescue. I wanted a dish with only protein and vegetables, and relatively low in both calories and fat. So when I came across Orange Chicken Vegetable Stir Fry, I knew I had hit the jackpot. This is one of those dishes I've made a million times but never posted about. And quite honestly, I hadn't made it in a long time. 

Here is the original recipe photo



And here is my version



Unfortunately I can never find bean sprouts anywhere in Stillwater, other than the canned stuff in the Asian section of the grocery store. I tried those once...there is NO comparison to fresh. There's a great Asian store in Oklahoma City, so I always buy them when I go there, and plan a few recipes that use them so they don't go to waste. I'll use whatever crunchy vegetables I have on hand, and this time I had a whole bunch: celery, carrots, mushrooms, green beans, asparagus, and broccoli. The recipe says to boil the broccoli and beans first to soften them a little, but I never do that. I think that would make them way too soft for my liking. I much prefer tender-crisp. So I cut the broccoli small and sautee the veggies longer before adding the chicken.

I really like this dish.  It's bursting with flavor, and I love all the contrasts in texture and crunch. The one down side is that it's saltier than I would like, because of the soy sauce. I use low sodium and it's still quite a bit. Next time I'll cut back on the soy sauce and see if that helps. 

I need to make this more often because it's filling and delicious. And great for when you need a break from a lot of carbs. 


Recipe Found On Kitchen Explorers


Shared On