My Chef's Hat - Spicy New Orleans Shrimp

Getting fresh seafood in a landlocked state is usually a challenge. When I first moved to Stillwater I refused to eat seafood for about a year. Then I started buying the flash-frozen stuff at Sam's Club, and then about a year ago I discovered 2 places in Tulsa that sell truly fresh seafood that they fly in daily. One is White River Fish Market, and the other is Bodean. Bodean is both a fine dining restaurant and a market. So now every time I go to Tulsa, I stop at Bodean Market to pick up seafood. I often buy raw shrimp and salmon, but have also bought clams, mussels, and scallops. 

On my last trip I bought clams, mussels & shrimp. I made one of my favorite dishes, steamed clams & mussels in garlic butter sauce. I've found quite a few great shrimp dishes on Pinterest, but I wanted something different the other night. So I got online and searched, and came across Spicy New Orleans Shrimp. I was so excited to make it, until I saw that it needed 4 hours to marinate. And it was already 7pm. So clearly that wasn't happening until the next night

Here is the official recipe photo


And here is my version, served over rice


I don't normally post in-progress pictures, but I couldn't help it this time. 





Oh. My. Goodness. This was absolutely outstanding. I've never used a marinade that you cook before using, but it definitely intensified the flavors. As it was cooking I kept going back and smelling it, because it was so good. I normally pare back recipes for a single serving, but I decided to go full force with this marinade and I'm so glad I did. Because it meant that much more goodness for the shrimp to soak in. There was some serious heat, as well as a ton of serious flavor, going on in that bowl. I didn't have any crusty bread, so I put it over rice, which helped tone down the heat. I've never baked shrimp before, so I overcooked them slightly. But that's an easy fix.

I can't wait to make this again, and will be doing it very soon.

Recipe found on Jo Cooks


Shared on