My Chef's Hat - Veggie Tacos

I've been trying to eat lower carb for the past 2 months.  It hasn't been as challenging as I thought, but I'm also not quite as hard-core as I was the first couple of weeks.  I've basically eliminated them from breakfast, and try to do carbs at either lunch or dinner, just not both.  That works great during the week, but come football gameday, with all the great food tempting me at every turn, it doesn't work out so well. 

Normally when I think of tacos, I picture chicken or beef.  But The other day I found an awesome-looking recipe on Pinterest for veggie tacos, and decided to make them for lunch.  Besides, I figured all the veggies in the tacos would help counteract the carbs.

Here is the official recipe photo:

And here is my version:

 
This was so good!  I was little worried that the veggies might make the whole dish a little mushy, but I made sure to cook them to tender-crisp, and they were perfect.  I added a little corn as I was sauteeing the veggies, as suggested by a reviewer, and they added amazing flavor to the dish.  I didn't have any green chiles, but that's okay.  I'm honestly not sure exactly what flavor/heat they would add, and the tacos were still really good without them. If I can find the chiles next time I'm at the grocery, great; if not, no biggie.   I only used half a jalapeno , just to play it safe.  Next time I'll probably use a whole one.  I didn't have the cojito cheese so I used feta, again based on a reviewer.  Thankfully they did not lead me astray.  I did the whole thing with melting the cheddar cheese first.  It was good, but I don't know how really necessary it was.  I might try without it next time. 

Will I  make this again?  It's already been added to the lunch rotation!


Recipe found on Simply Recipes