#90 - The Deck on Fountainview - Houston, TX

We are so lucky to have a ton of great donors at OSU.  I've been blessed to get to know so many of them, from the grassroots donors who are the heart of the POSSE, to the suiteholders who I work with every gameday to ensure they and their guests are having a first-class experience.  

Chad is one of our suiteholders who lives in Houston, and about 3 years ago he bought a bar called The Deck on Fountainview.  It's located in the Galleria area of Houston, and if you're not paying attention, you'll drive right past it.  The inside has about 40 tables, with lots of sports jerseys and memorabilia on the walls, along with a bunch of flat-screen TV's showing all kinds of sports, and even a few arcade games.  The back deck has about 20 tables out there, as well as a huge 97" TV.  The first time I walked in, my immediate thought was "total dive bar".  But every time I've gone, it's been a great time. The beer is cold, and the food is really good.  I've had wings, cheese steak, black & blue burger, fries, and have never been disappointed. 


Last year our first football game of the season was in Houston, and the team hotel was only about 5 miles away. Chad very generously offered free beer and wine to everyone wearing OSU gear the night before the game.  Chad told the other owner to expect 50-100 people...not sure what he was thinking, but I assured the owner it would be packed.  We didn't advertise free drinks, but word travels fast.  By the time we arrived at 6, there were already more than 50 OSU fans there.  The free drinks ran from 7-11pm.  By 8, I swear there were about 300 people in the bar, and they never left.  They just called their friends and more arrived.  I could tell the staff was completely overwhelmed, and asked a couple times if I could help.  They said no, but by the 4th time I absolutely insisted, and became a busser for the rest of the night.  I cleared off tables as best as I could. Meanwhile, my friends I was with were pounding down the free beers.  But I really didn't mind, because I got to see a lot more friends and meet some new OSU fans. A lot of other people were glad for the 2:30 kickoff because they were so hung over from all the free beers.  I was happy because when I woke up I was so sore and exhausted, and felt like I had worked a game day.  Pretty sure he won't ever do that again, but it was a lot of fun. So maybe he will. 

We usually go to The Deck after the caravan, to relax and unwind.  Even though there are appetizers at the caravan, I don't ever eat much there, and save myself for The Deck. This time Chad ordered crawfish.  



I've never seen crawfish that big in my life!  Chad gave us a quick refresher on how to properly eat them, and we dug in. Coach Singleton dominated them. Eating crawfish is a lot like eating crabs.  A lot of work, for not a lot of reward per fish.  But if you eat enough, you're gonna get full eventually.  They were really good, but I think someone in the kitchen took the top off the spice jar and just dumped the whole thing in. I guess that's so you order more drinks. The corn and potatoes were really good too, but I limited those so I could focus on the crawfish. We devoured 2 huge trays of these little beauties.

I shouldn't even have to tell you that I'll be going back.  I make sure I visit every time in Houston.  Would never pass it up.