#35 - Saturn Grill, OKC

I am 100% convinced weather people have the greatest gig in the world.  They're wrong...A LOT.  And when they are, they can just claim the front came through either faster or slower than predicted.  But yet they still make tons of money and no matter how many times they're wrong they never get fired.  I'm starting to think I'm in the wrong business. 

In the days leading up to Christmas they predicted about 10" of snow on Christmas Day, with horrible driving conditions, etc.  They said it could be almost as bad as the Christmas Day snowstorm of 2009.  On that Christmas Eve in '09 I didn't really believe it, and was just going about my business, starting to pack to leave on the 26th for the Cotton Bowl.  I fell asleep on the couch and woke up at about 1am.  Something told me to go get a shovel, just in case.  It's times like that I appreciate Wal Mart's 24-hour hours, as I was able to get a shovel and some sand.  Good thing, because I woke up Christmas morning to about a foot of snow on the ground.  I spent all afternoon shoveling so I could actually leave on the 26th.

Fast-forward 3 years.  At my mom's suggestion I went to Wal Mart a few days before Christmas and bought another shovel, so my dad could help me clear the driveway.  My parents and I woke up Christmas morning to nothing...no snow, no ice, nothing.  We got a little freezing rain around noon, but that's it.  That reminds me, I need to take the other shovel back.

On the 26th we headed out bright and early to OKC, to check out the day-after-Christmas sales.  We hit 8 stores plus the mall and I think I bought 2 things total.  Usually there's tons of holiday stuff on clearance, but there was very little left, and what was still there was completely picked over. I was so disappointed and annoyed.

After a few hours we were starving.  I had heard lots of good things about Saturn Grill, so decided to go there.  I actually tried to go a few weeks before, but it was on a Sunday...they're not open on Sunday...something I didn't realize until I pulled into the parking lot. 

They've got 2 locations in OKC, and we went to the one on Memorial.  It's in a strip mall, and you have to know where it is, or you will miss it. The restaurant isn't very big, but it has a cool, eclectic look to it. You order at the counter, and they bring you your food.  

All the sandwiches come with their "famous mustard potato salad".  My dad and I decided to add salads to our meal, and my mom just substituted a salad for the potatoes with hers.  I went with the #12 - Spicy Turkey and the Caesar salad

Thinly sliced grilled turkey, bacon, melted swiss, grilled onion,
hot peppers & red chili mayo on flat bread

I didn't realize that the salad came with chicken...not that it was a bad thing, but it did kinda catch me off-guard.  The salad was delicious, but I only ate some of it so I would have enough room for my meal. The turkey sandwich was amazing.  The flat bread was super fresh and tasted homemade.  The sandwich was served warm, so the cheese was melty ooey gooey.  The chili peppers and mayo added a kick, but it was not overpowering.  The sandwich was also huge.  I should have just eaten half, but that just wasn't an option and I scarfed down the whole thing. 

The potato salad was okay. I never thought I would ever come across a potato I didn't love, but I wasn't really a fan of this one.  I think it had too much vinegar for my taste.  My dad really liked it though, and ate most of mine in addition to his.  Next time I'll probably just get the sandwich and no sides, because that really would be enough.

Will I go back?  No question.  The food was hot and fresh and made to order.  I could eat warm bread all day long, so that was just a bonus.