#161 - Trails End BBQ, Owasso OK

I had a last-minute lunch scheduled with a donor last Tuesday. It's in Owasso, which is about 10 miles west of Tulsa. I've never been to Owasso, and so I went online to research restaurants. I tossed out a few options to Steve, and he picked Trails End BBQ. Honestly it wouldn't have been my first choice of the options I had found, but I went with it. I figured since he lived in the area, he would know better. As it turns out, Steve had never eaten here before either, so it was a new discovery for both of us.


The restaurant looks like an old country building. Wood paneled walls, Western pictures everywhere. There’s seating for about 40 in the main dining room, and they also have a additional seating in another room that is separated by a curtain. It was pretty crowded when I arrived, but luckily I was able to get one of the last available tables as soon as I walked in. This picture in the restroom made me laugh out loud

Our server was very nice, but she also came around about 4 times pretty quickly to ask if we were ready. And we kept saying no. At first I was a little annoyed, but I realized that most of their clientele are workers on a timed lunch break who need to get in and out quickly. After the 4th time she told us to just let her know when we were ready to order.

I suggested that we try the pasture chips to start
Fresh homemade potato chips with our own special seasoning
These were homemade and really delicious. They were lightly seasoned, and the seasoning was awesome. Reminded me of Old Bay. The only down side is that they weren’t warm. I guess most people eat them straight from the basket because we didn't get little plates. When I asked for ketchup, our server gave me that “look”. The kind of look you get at a steakhouse when you ask for your meat well done. She did bring it out though, as well as some ranch. And she said the ranch is awesome with the chips. She was right. We used some of the BBQ sauce that was on the table as well, and that was fantastic too. The ranch and BBQ sauce went better than the ketchup. Duly noted, so I don't get the look again. I definitely recommend that they serve these chips with a side of ranch. And if they served them warm, that would be outstanding.

The menu isn’t too big, but pretty substantial for a BBQ place. One thing we noticed is that they only have 2 different salads on the whole menu. But then again, I doubt that many people go to a BBQ place for salad. And besides, this doesn’t come across as a place you would go when on a diet.

As we were munching on chips I looked again at the appetizer items, and thought that we should have tried fried pickles or jalapeno cheese balls instead. But really, besides the temperature, the chips were awesome. So I moved on to figure out what to eat. I had read a review on TulsaFood.com about the restaurant the night before; Mitch, the reviewer, raved about the ribs. I don’t normally eat ribs at a restaurant because they’re too messy. Steve said I should since I was doing a review, and I saw lots of other people getting ribs. So ribs it was. I went with the 2-meat combo of ribs and pulled pork, and did sweet potato fries and fried okra as my sides. We were both shocked to see tabouli on the menu. Never in my life have I seen that anywhere but a Greek place. But our server said it was really good, and was the second most popular side on the menu. So we decided to try it.



The tabouli was awesome! I have to say I hesitated a second to taste it, but it tasted just like what you get in Greek restaurants. Extremely flavorful.


The sweet potato fries were pretty good, but I think they were a tad undercooked. There was a ton, and I only ate about half of them. The fried okra was very good as well. Not as scorching hot as I would normally like, but fried perfectly.



The pulled pork was very good and had a great smoky flavor, and again a huge serving. The pork was a little dry, but some BBQ sauce did the trick. The ribs were amazing. So meaty and tender. I was able to easily pull them off the bone. I gave Steve a piece, and he stopped talking mid-sentence after his bite. Yep, it’s that good. You get 2 with the 2-meat combo. The regular meal comes with 4-5. I’m not even sure I could have eaten all that. As it stood, I took about half the pork, and some each of the okra and tabouli home with me.

Steve got the brisket sandwich with cole slaw. Yes, I looked like the pig of our table. But it’s for research. I forgot to take a picture of his cole slaw, but I tasted it and it was delicious.

As we were finishing our meals, our server asked if we wanted apple or cherry cobbler. We both said no, because we were both stuffed. But then she said it was included as part of the meal. Who can turn that down?! Especially when she offered to put them directly into to-go containers for us. We both got apple.

The angle of this photo is a little deceiving, because it's a very small portion.  Just enough to finish the meal off. I ate it when I got home. It was good, but would be better warm, eaten right at the restaurant. And with ice cream on top. Steve had asked our server if it came with ice cream, but no dice.

Steve and I both agreed that we will each definitely go back. The food is delicious, the service is quick and efficient, and the prices are really good.