My Chef's Hat - Pizza Chicken

Pizza is one of my favorite foods.  I've always preferred thicker crust over the thin crust.  To me, thin crust is often over-cooked, so it ends up tasting like cardboard.  For a long time I bought the mini Boboli pizza crusts, and made pizza for lunch.  It was convenient and easy, but obviously that crust wasn't really too healthy, as it needed lots of preservatives to keep for that long.  And I know that they sell a whole wheat dough, but I could never find it. 

A couple months ago I was in Whole Foods in the fresh foods area.  I could spend an hour just in that section, checking out all the different cheeses and prepared foods.  I came across fresh whole wheat pizza dough in a 16-ounce prepared ball.  I knew I had hit the jackpot, especially since it was pretty inexpensive.  I took it home, cut it into fourths, and instantly had 4 lunches.

I love making the pizza with that dough.  I use fresh mozzarella, Bertolli pizza sauce (tons better than Ragu), and fresh herbs and you can taste a huge difference.  Even though I'm on the low carb thing right now I still make pizza once a week.  And when I came across the recipe for Pizza Chicken, I knew I had to try it out.  It allows me to use a lot of what I make with a regular pizza, but without the carbs.

Here is the official recipe picture:

And here's my version:

The flavor was delicious, and the only thing "missing" was the dough...but the chicken more than made up for it.  I grilled the chicken first before adding the toppings and putting it in the oven, and I was afraid that would make the chicken too dry. But the sauce, cheese and other toppings helped keep it moist. 

When I normally make my pizza I add artichoke hearts and spinach, but I didn't think I had space for that so I left it out. But I did use red onion, red pepper, sundried tomato, and mushrooms.  I should have added some fresh basil, but thought about it too late. 

Will I make this again? Definitely!!  Will it replace my fresh whole wheat dough?  Not a chance.  The dish was really good, so maybe I'll alternate chicken with dough. 


Recipe found on Just a Pinch