#154 - Savoy Restaurant, Tulsa OK

Last night was A Stately Affair, a black-tie OSU event in Tulsa that recognizes icons for OSU in Tulsa. This is the 3rd year of the event, and the first time I've ever attended.  It was an outstanding evening, raising over $600,000 for scholarships for OSU-Tulsa.  It was held at Southern Hills Country Club.  It sure is nice to occasionally see how the other half lives

I had an appointment in OKC yesterday morning, drove the 90 minutes to Tulsa, worked out, and then was in heels all night.  So no chance I was driving back to Stillwater. Great call, because I was absolutely exhausted by the time I got back to my hotel.  

This morning I was really hungry and in need of breakfast.  The free buffet at Fairfield Inn is decent, but I wanted something different. So I got online and searched, and came across Savoy Restaurant.  It had been rated one of the top breakfast places in Tulsa. Sold.

It's located in a strip mall and from the outside doesn't look that exciting.  But strip mall restaurants rarely do

I was surprised at how big it is on the inside. It's separated into 3 sections, each seating about 40.  It was about 1/2 full when I arrived at 6:45am.  As I sat I noticed several tables of men having business meetings.  This definitely seems like a great place to eat and meet.  By the time I was leaving the place was almost full.  The restaurant is open for breakfast and lunch only.

This place is definitely a diner, in every sense of the word.  They've got a couple of items that are only served on certain days too.  When I told the server it was my first time there, she told me that the cinnamon rolls would be ready at 7am.  Tempting, but when I had seen a picture of them they looked huge. So I passed.  And then I looked, and they are 8oz each.  That's like a double burger.  My friend Shawn told me that they're known for their cinnamon rolls.  

I started with coffee.  Lots of it.  And in true diner fashion, the servers were walking around, constantly filling our cups if we wanted it.  I like that.  

After some serious deciding, I went with the farmer's breakfast with wheat toast and eggs over easy/medium. Biscuits and gravy is an option for the side and I thought about it, but again, I knew I wouldn't need all that food.
Italian sausage, onion, bell pepper & tomatoes on hashbrowns with two eggs, cooked your way

The breakfast was very good, but a little under seasoned for my taste; I added a little salt and hot sauce and that made a big difference.  I really liked Italian sausage, as it added a very unique flavor to the dish. The hash browns were really delicious.  Crispy on top, fluffy underneath.  Perfectly cooked. I asked for the eggs to be between over easy and medium. They were done a little more towards medium, but still good.  And they use farm fresh eggs.  You can taste the difference.  I really liked the wheat toast.  Might very well have been homemade.  Nice thick slices. After I placed the order I realized I should have ordered the toast dry, but it was very lightly buttered.  Big difference from most diners that slather it on.

Will I go back?  No question.  I told Shawn that we need to go back so we can split a cinnamon roll.