#156 - Mickey Mantle's Steakhouse, Oklahoma City OK

Last Saturday I went to a wedding in Oklahoma City.  My co-worker Tia said "I do" with her soul mate Chico.  The weather didn't really cooperate, but I've heard that a rainy wedding day is a good sign.  It didn't rain during the ceremony, but the skies opened up during the reception.  Our cell phones kept going off with the severe weather alert sirens. But of course that didn't stop us from having a fantastic time.

After the wedding I headed down to Bricktown to meet Kelly and Michele.  We were staying down there, just to get out of Stillwater for a night.  They had gotten down there while I was at the reception, so by the time I was heading their way they were hungry. We met at Mickey Mantle's Steakhouse, in the heart of Bricktown and just a few blocks from our hotel.  It's named after the New York Yankees legend who just happens to be an Oklahoma native.

I rarely use valet, but it was still pouring rain when I arrived so I took full advantage. I was very surprised to see that it costs $8, and they ask when you park if you're eating there (because I'm sure some people say they will and then just go to other places). But it was well worth it to avoid the rain.

I figured we could just sit in the bar.  The fact that the bar was a fully enclosed, separate area should have been my first clue that they allow smoking in there. But I really didn't think about it.  One step in the door and I was overcome by smoke.  It didn't help that there was a guy sitting just inside the door smoking a cigar.  Nope, no chance.

Mickey Mantle's is definitely a high-end restaurant.  White tablecloths, tables fully set, and mood lighting.  The seating is a mixture of large booths around the perimeter and tables.  They've got small 4-person tables and larger tables for bigger groups.  Plus space for private dining.  And a wall of wine.  I know they're looking for atmosphere with low lighting, but I literally had to use the glow from my phone to read the menu. Our table was a semi-circle table in the corner, and other tables in the middle had a little more lighting but not much. Michele asked our server for more light and voila! More light.  And we definitely weren't the only ones who didn't like the really low lighting because I heard several other tables compliment the change.

This restaurant is very much like The Palm or Ruth's Chris.  Everything is a la carte, and all the portions are huge.  When Kelly first said we were going there, I was a little disappointed because I knew I would want a steak.  And I knew there was no chance I could eat all that food since I had the wedding earlier.  But they wanted to go there, so who am I to complain?

I have this weird thing  where I always look at the drink list to see what the most expensive bottle is.

Yep, a bottle of Bordeaux for SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS.

That is absolute and complete insanity. I can't even begin to wrap my mind around spending that much on a bottle of alcohol. Or even letting someone else pay for it.  We asked, and our server said he's never sold a bottle, but he knows that some have been sold in the past.  Craziness. Quite honestly, everything on the drink menu was high.  I was going to skip drinks completely until Michele noticed the paloma drink special.  It was $5, and I was sold
Casamigos Honey Paloma - Casamigos tequila, fresh ruby red grapefruit juice, fresh lime juice, honey
Wow, this drink has some serious power. But it was also really smooth. I'm guessing that's from the honey.  I've never heard of honey in a Paloma, but it worked very well.  

We ordered the fried asparagus and potato crusted calamari appetizers.  
Topped with jumbo lump crab and Bearnaise sauce
This was excellent. The breading was light and had really good flavor, and the asparagus spears were thick so they were still very crisp.  The lump crab was very fresh, and was truly big lumps.  The Bearnaise sauce was delicious as well. 



This calamari was delicious.  The potato is actually jalapeno potato chips.  Very interesting crust for the calamari; I've never heard of that kind of breading before.  The cocktail sauce had a lot of flavor. I think it's a cool presentation when the lemon is wrapped in that cloth, to prevent the seeds from going into your dish.  Nobody wants to bite into a lemon seed. 

Kelly and Michele first split the Caesar salad

Michele was on a mission, so I didn't get the picture before she had cut it up.  But that's okay.  I tried a bite, and it was delicious.  The dressing was light and extremely flavorful. I did not try a crouton since there were only a couple.

They then split the shrimp scampi and jumbo lump crab

The sauce was amazing. I wasn't even that hungry and I could have eaten the whole dish. I didn't try the shrimp, but they both said it was really good. They joked with our server, "complaining" that Michele got 4 shrimp and Kelly only had 3.  He explained that the whole dish comes with 7 shrimp.  That makes sense.  

I wasn't that hungry since I had eaten at the wedding.  So I just got the lobster bisque

Wow, this was fantastic.  It was spicy, which kind of threw me off.  But it was spicy in a good, earthy way.  The pieces of lobster were really good, and very big.  And there was a lot of it in there.  The bisque was smooth and creamy.

Michele and Kelly ordered espresso shots, and they were served with these adorable rock candy stirrers


Well, you know I have to go back.  I didn't get a steak, I didn't get to try any of the sides, and I want another Paloma.  And besides, the things we did have were wonderful, so I know I won't be disappointed with other items on the menu.  Maybe we'll go back for another fun group dinner.  Or a date night.  We'll see.


Mickey Mantle statue, in front of Bricktown Ballpark, across the street from the restaurant