My Chef's Hat - Fried Okra Salad

The fact that this is my SECOND post about cooking with okra is truly one for the record books.  As a kid, you couldn't pay me to eat it.  Probably because my parents steamed it, so it was slimy and disgusting.  And I'm a huge texture eater.  My parents are from Trinidad, and there's a dish called callalo that's made with okra that's basically cooked down into a soup/stew...to this day I still refuse to eat it, and I honestly don't see that ever changing.  Again, the whole texture thing.

A few weeks ago I finally gave in and made fried okra, and was quite impressed with my first attempt.  I did overcook them a little; but I think that's because I was trying to fry them in not a ton of oil, and maybe had too much cornmeal on them.  They were still good, but some were burnt.

Earlier this week I was cooking fish, and wanted a relatively healthy side dish to go a long with it.  I had recently found a recipe on Pinterest for fried okra salad, and thought this sounded like a great combination of flavors.  Plus it would give me a chance to redeem my okra frying skills.  And it has bacon in it.  No recipe can be wrong when there's bacon involved.

Here is the official recipe photo
  
And here is my version

I have work to do on my frying skills, because a couple pieces still got a little more charred than I would like.  But that is the only negative, and clearly just operator error. I really enjoyed this dish!  I cooked the okra in the bacon fat, and so I didn't need to add any more oil.  That gave the okra a much deeper flavor.  I also added red pepper and red onion, to give it a little more crunch and to add to the texture.  The recipe calls for a dressing that's a mix of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and sugar.  But when I mixed them, I really didn't like the way it looked.  And I tasted it, and wasn't impressed.  And couldn't see any legitimate reason to add more oil.  So I just drizzled some balsamic vinegar instead.  And I have some really good balsamic that my friend Dianne got for me.

I will definitely be making this recipe again!


Recipe found on SusieQTpies Cafe


SHARED ON