Repeats with a Twist - Boneyard Grill, Guthrie, OK

Guthrie has become one of my favorite towns in Oklahoma.  Partly because I've made some amazing friends who call Guthrie home, but also because it's a small town with lots of history.  I've also run two races there as part of The See Spot Run...my second 5K last year, and my first 10K this summer.  The race benefits the Free to Live Animal Sanctuary, and was founded in memory of Chris Cowden, who was tragically killed in a motorcyle accident in 2008.  His sister Suzanne, along with the rest of his family, put on a fantastic event every summer, and I'm so blessed to be a part of it.

One of my favorite restaurants in Guthrie used to be Geno's Chop House, in downtown Guthrie.  They had an awesome Sunday brunch.  It closed a couple years ago.  Boneyard Grill is another restaurant my dear friend AJ introduced me to last winter.  It's a local restaurant, serving up good home cooking.  I was meeting Dean there on Monday, and promptly went to the location where it had been, on South Division, only to find an empty parking lot and a sign on the door...it had moved to the old Geno's location. 

I'm trying to drink lots more water.  It's good for you, and it helps to fill you up.  But when I asked the waitress, she said she didn't recommend it, because it had been looking kinda yellow.  Not a good sign.  She said she'd been drinking the tea all day and it was fine, so I went with that.  I'm not a big tea drinker.  Usually the sweet is overly sweet, and the unsweet needs about 100 packets of sugar to taste good.  So I went with the sweet/unsweet mix and it was pretty tasty.

We started with salads.  I didn't take a picture cause they were just your basic starter salad.  I did get the blue cheese dressing, because it's homemade.  It's really good.  Not Jerry's Seafood good, but not much is.

Their special of the night was a teriyaki ribeye...marinated in a teriyaki sauce, grilled, and topped with a pineapple chutney.  We split the steak, and shared two sides...angel hair fried onions and sweet potato fries


The steak was awesome.  It was very well cooked, and the teriyaki glaze added a wonderful sweet flavor.  The chutney had a definite kick, and I wasn't expecting that.  The spice was a little too much by itself, but eating it with the meat mellowed the flavor.  Don't get me wrong, the chutney was awesome, just spicier than I expected.  I would definitely get it again.

The onion straws were okay, but I definitely prefer ones that are breaded instead of battered.  With such thinly sliced onions, the batter is overpowering and that's all you taste.  The sweet potato fries were really good and were the perfect thickness. 

Will I go back?  Definitely!