Repeats with a Twist - El Palomino, Stillwater OK

I hardly ever ate Mexican food when I lived in Maryland, and I'm really not sure why.  There are lots of hispanic neighborhoods there, and a big one near my parents' house so I'm sure there are endless options of authentic Mexican, and not just the Tex-Mex chains you see all over the place.  Once I moved to Oklahoma and started eating lunch out with Dennicia and Shan a few times a week, Mexican pretty much became a staple in the rotation.

I also never ate avocado.  I had this irrational fear of it, and just assumed I wouldn't like it.  My first summer here, on a retreat at Mr. Pickens' ranch, I gave in and tasted a tiny bit of guacamole--and immediately fell in love.  Since then I eat avocado almost every day :)    Not only are they delicious, but they're good for you too.

Last night I went to dinner at El Palomino.  I started with a Margarita Legendario...that's not the exact name, but it doesn't matter. It was cold, strong and delicious!  After talking for 20 minutes and mindlessly eating warm chips and awesome white queso, we finally realized it was time to order some dinner.  Palomino's makes great chimichangas, carnitas and fajitas.  But, remembering my "repeats with a twist", I knew I needed to find something new.

I decided to try the blackened shark tacos.  It was something I'd never had anywhere, it sounded good, and I figured the seafood would at least help to counteract all the chips & queso I had eaten.
Homemade Flour Tortilla filled with Blackened Shark, Honey Ancho Bacon, Shredded Lettuce, Grilled Onions & Peppers, Sharp Cheddar, Tomatoes, Avocado and Baja Cream
Boy was I glad with my choice!  The shark has a mild flavor, and the cream sauce was a perfect accompaniment.  I was full after 2 tacos, so on the 3rd I just ate the filling.  

Will I go back?  Of course!  And the shark tacos are high up on my list.  Palomino's is probably the best Mexican in town.  It's owned by the same people that own El Vaquero, which I can walk to in about 3 minutes from my house. But I would drive the 10 minutes across town to El Palomino in a heartbeat.