Jerry's Seafood - A Repeat that Doesn't Need a Twist

I know that the blog is supposed to be about "new" and "twists", but sometimes there are dishes that are so good that I'm not willing to compromise and get anything different.  So here goes.

There is no comparison between the seafood found on the coasts and what's found in landlocked states...period...end of story.  

When I was flying back from my OSU interview, I happened to sit next to Sam Hollenbach, who had just finished his career as QB at Maryland.  He was coming from one of those post season senior bowls that was held at UTEP.  We talked about his game, and then I told him about the job and the interview.  He got really serious, looked me in the eyes and said "Karyl...you know you can't eat the seafood there, right??"  I laughed, because I completely agreed with him.  The first few months I was hard-core no seafood, but I finally gave in and now buy vacuum-sealed fish from Sam's.  However, one thing I refuse to compromise on is crabmeat.  I just can't bring myself to do it.  After you eat crabs from Maryland, nothing else comes close.  Even the sushi in Maryland uses real crab meat, and the taste difference is amazing. 

One night about 10 years ago, I was at Bentley's happy hour with Ernie & Chappy, and they took me to Jerry's Seafood, in Lanham, MD.  It's in this non-descirpt strip mall that really kinda looks like it belongs in the ghetto.  The inside atmosphere is 100% the opposite.  It's a small restaurant, and everything on the menu is seafood.  They introduced me to the Crab Bomb, and I immediately fell in love.  It's expensive, but completely worth it as an occasional treat and I must go once every time I get back to visit.  My parents and I now go to the other location in Bowie.  It's a little further, but it's in a nicer area. 

Chappy passed away a couple of years ago after a tragic accident on the golf course.  So every time I eat at Jerry's, I say a little prayer for him, knowing that he's smiling down on me.

Tuesday afternoon I ate a really light lunch in preparation for the feast to be had at Jerry's that night.  The first thing they bring out is warm rolls with butter.  They're really hard to resist, so I had one.  I wanted another, but knew I had to save space in my stomach for the meal.  And this time I also decided to get a cocktail.  I went with the 10 Cane Mojito, since it used rum from Trinidad, where my parents are from. Wow it's strong!!!  It was really good, but the strength got me so I only had one.
 
I used to always get the crab bisque to start.  It's amazingly heavenly, but also pretty heavy.  So instead my dad and I split the calamari. 

It was breaded, fresh and cooked perfectly.  When it first came out my dad claimed it was too much, but it didn't take us long to finish the tray. 

Next came the salads.  I know blue cheese dressing isn't really good for you, and normally it's dressing with a couple chunks of cheese, but this isn't any ordinary dressing.  It's more like huge chunks of blue cheese with some melted chunks to make it a little creamy.  I could absolutely just eat a bowl of it.  A couple years ago my mom's friend was with us, and he's a chef.  He asked for the recipe, and they even gave him some extra to take home.


My dad doesn't eat crab, so he always gets the salmon.  It's quite a big piece, and they recommend it blackened, so that's what he gets.

I always taste a bite.  Again, perfectly cooked.  The blackening spice gives flavor, but not a lot of heat.  Which is perfect for my dad, who doesn't do spicy.

We both got the chilled asparagus as a side.  I never ate asparagus until a couple years ago, but now I love it and eat it often. 

And then, the Crab Bomb, the crowning glory of my meal.

It's 10 ounces of pure lump crab meat, broiled to perfection.  And when I say lump, I mean jumbo lump.  It's not picked or over-mixed.  You can see every lump of the crab.  The only thing holding it together is butter and OId Bay.  They have a smaller version called the Baby Bomb (6 ounces), but since I only eat there once a year, the regular Bomb it is.

By the time I'm done with my meal I pretty much have to roll out of there.  And it is 100% worth it. I used to get the crab bisque instead of calamari, but at that point it became just gluttonous.  

I wish I could order a whole bunch of them and let my friends here in Oklahoma taste the difference.  But it's way too expensive, and I just don't quite love you all that much  :)  And I just don't think anyone could eat just one bite.  They do ship their crabcakes, and I think it's highly worth it, just for the experience.