#60 - Tropics Pool Bar & Grill, Orlando, FL

One of the perks of my job is that I am a member of the Association of Luxury Suite Directors (ALSD).  Most people wouldn't consider an association as a perk, but this one is. Every year it's in a different city, we do venue tours each night, I always learn a lot and am able to take ideas back, and I've made lifelong friends.  The conference starts on a Sunday, but I always get there the day before.  My first couple years I arrived on Sunday early afternoon, but I was always so tired that by Sunday night I could barely keep my eyes open.  3 years ago in LA was the worst, as I was falling asleep at the bar.  So after that I started getting there on Saturday. 

Saturday afternoon I spent a little time at the pool, took a nap in my room, and when I woke up it was almost 8pm.  The closest off-site restaurants were about a mile away.  I didn't want to pay for a cab and didn't want to walk back in the dark, so I went downstairs to Tropics Pool Bar & Grill, out by the pool.  I decided to take my order to go, since I had wine up in my room.  As I was trying to decide what to get, I noticed the guys next to me had gotten the specialty surf & turf pizza.  I asked how it was, and they both said "it's awesome" before I even finished the question.  Sold.

The pizza was SO good!  It was steak & lobster, and yummy deliciousness.   I'd never had lobster on a pizza, but it was fantastic. I would never normally eat a whole pizza like this myself, but I came pretty close this time.  I ate 2 pieces Sunday morning, and there was only one more piece left when I was finally done with it.

Sunday I was planning to walk to the restaurants for lunch, but I was way too comfortable at the pool, reading my book.  And I knew they would bring my food to me so I wouldn't even have to lose my lounge chair.  So I ordered a blackened mahi mahi wrap

So good!  The blackening was very flavorful but not too spicy, it was a big piece of fish, and the avocado added an awesome flavor.  The fries were hot, crisp and fresh.  I got the tarter sauce on the side, because the waitress said they usually put a lot on it.  I'm glad I did, because too much would have ruined the flavor of the wrap.  And I liked that it was a wheat wrap too.

The last night of the conference we had just come back from a day trip to Tampa, and they provided beers on the bus for us.  There was lots of extra beer, so some of the guys took it out to the pool bar.  And eventually a game of flip cup erupted.  I'm not sure the hotel staff was too fired up about the beer or the flip cup, but they tolerated us for a while. I took the opportunity to go on the lazy river. It was super relaxing, and doing it at night is a much smarter idea than during the day when there are 8 million kids out there.

Wednesday after the last session Krista, Blair, Jamie and I went out to the pool to relax and start to recuperate from the conference.  We had a late lunch, and I got the mahi mahi wrap again.  And it was just as good the second time.

If I ever stay at this hotel again, I'll definitely be eating here.  It's good food, reasonably priced, and a great view.