#62 - Funky Monkey Wine Company, Orlando FL

The ALSD conference always ends on Wednesday early afternoon.  A lot of the attendees either leave Wednesday morning, or immediately following the last session that afternoon.  I see no reason to race back to reality, so I stay the night and head back Thursday morning.  Blair and his wife ordered in at the hotel, so Krista and I made plans to go somewhere delicious for dinner.  The concierge suggested Funky Monkey Wine Company, located in Pointe Orlando, a shopping and dining area about a mile from our hotel. 

Funky Monkey is a great restaurant, with a pretty large outdoor patio.  But, it looked like it might rain so we went inside.  We were seated at a pub table next to the window.  We ordered wine, and it was really good.  But I don't remember what kind we had.  I really need to do a better job of that moving forward.

I thought about sushi, but none of the rolls really jumped out at me.  And as I looked at the rest of the menu, there were a few very unique items that I wanted to try.  I couldn't decide between the Funky Monkey or Drunken Monkey salad, but since Krista got the drunken salad I got the other one.
Blue cheese crumbles, avocado, grilled onion, bacon, tomato, blue cheese dressing
My salad was awesome.  I mean with those ingredients you really can't go wrong.  For dinner Krista got the scallop & shrimp Maque Choux, and I got the seafood pasta diablo
Shrimp, mussels, scallops, spicy tomato broth, linguine
Yep, forgot to take a picture of Krista's meal, but she said it was really good.  My dish was fantastic.  The broth was spicy and had lots of flavor, and on the menu it said "spicy" in italics.  It definitely had a kick, but not in a crazy way.  I've tasted much spicier in other restaurants.

Since it was our last meal we went with dessert.  I can't remember what it was called, and there's no dessert menu listed on the website...

The crust was made of cookie dough!  And the outside edge of the cake was a big piece of white chocolate.  This cake was phenomenal.  We shared it, so it wasn't too much.

Our waiter was both a positive and a negative.  When he was attentive, he was great.  He knew his stuff and gave great suggestions.  However, when we were ready to order he was nowhere to be found, and when we finally saw another waiter head our direction and asked for our waiter, he just took the order for us.  When we were done, the waiter disappeared again, and we had to wave another waiter down to pay our bill. 

Will I go back?  Yes I will, if I ever go back to Orlando.  The food was delicious, the wine list was substantial, and I don't want to let one waiter's inconsistency to ruin my whole impression of the place.